What are the best 5 exercises in Nigeria? It is common knowledge that daily exercise helps in keeping the body not only in shape but in optimal health. Yes that is just the simple truth.
With a multitude of exercises to choose from, it may be either confusing or daunting knowing which to choose from.
That is why we have listed these six exercises, instead of five (5), you can do for ultimate fitness especially here in Nigeria.
You can do them twice a week to see improvements in your muscular strength, endurance, and balance.
Considered as a basic exercise by many, situps are good for your bed as they target your abdominal muscles.
- Lay on the ground on your back with your knees bent, feet flat, and your hands behind your head.
- With your feet glued to the ground, begin to roll up from your head, engaging your core throughout. Don’t strain your neck during the upward motion.
- When your chest reaches your legs, begin the controlled phase back down to the starting position.
Undoubtedly one of the most common exercises, it helps to work your muscles.
- Start in a plank position. Make sure that your core is tight with your shoulders pulled down and back, and your neck neutral.
- Bend your elbows and begin to lower your body down to the floor.
- When your chest grazes it, extend your elbows and return to the start.
- Focus on keeping your elbows close to your body during the movement.
You use some of the largest muscles in your body for this exercise as it helps to burn many calories as well as increase lower body and core strength. Squats improve the flexibility in your lower back and hips.
- Stand straight with your feet slightly wider than shoulder-width apart and your arms at your sides.
- Brace your core and keep your chest and chin up then push your hips back and bend your knees as if you are going to sit in a chair.
- Ensure your knees don’t bow inward or outward, drop down until your thighs are parallel to the ground, bringing your arms out in front of you in a comfortable position.
- Pause for one second, then extend your legs and return to the starting position.
Lunges help you challenge your balance. The exercise promotes function movement and increases strength in your legs and glutes.
- Stand with your feet shoulder-width apart and arms down at your sides.
- Take a step forward with your right leg and bend your right knee as you do so, stopping when your thigh is parallel to the ground. Ensure that your right knee doesn’t extend past your right foot.
- Push up off your right foot and return to the starting position.
- Repeat with your left leg.
- Complete 10 reps for 3 sets.
Standing overhead dumbbell presses
Compound exercises, which utilise multiple joints and muscles, are perfect for busy bees as they work several parts of your body at once.
A standing overhead press isn’t only one of the best exercises you can do for your shoulders, it also engages your upper back and core. For this, you will need dumbbells.
- Stand either with your feet shoulder-width apart or staggered.
- Move the weights overhead so your upper arms are parallel to the floor.
- Brace your core and push up until your arms are fully extended above your head.
- Keep your head and neck stationary. After a brief pause, bend your elbows and lower the weight back down until your tricep is parallel to the floor again.
Focus on the mind-muscle connection and controlled movements to ensure you’re completing this move effectively.
- Lie on your right side with your left leg and foot stacked on top of your right leg and foot.
- Prop your upper body up by placing your right forearm on the ground, with your elbow directly under your shoulder.
- Contract your core to stiffen your spine and lift your hips and knees off the ground, forming a straight line with your body.
- Return to start in a controlled manner.
What are the best 5 exercises in Nigeria? Share with friends……….