How is your mental wellness or happy state of mind now that a third of 2020 has been spent in quarantine? Our mind is the window to our body and soul, but during this global coronavirus pandemic we have overloaded our brain with so much digital trash that has negatively affected our physical well-being.
Our happy state of mind needs proper nourishment, too. Stress and anxiety are at an all-time high because there is still no definite, clear path to recovery. However, below are 10 tips to create a mentally happy state of mind,
- Eat a well-balanced diet with food rich in omega-3 fatty acids to reduce the risk of dementia and mental decline by helping in the repair of brain cells. Good nutrition is a natural defense against stress.
Begin your day with a nutritious breakfast, preferably of whole-grain cereals and fruits, and take balanced meals throughout the day.
- Get at least eight (8) hours of sleep a day. With so much stress nowadays, we can all use extra sleep.
Since most meetings currently are on Zoom, we don’t have to deal with wasted traffic time.
- Get your heart rate pumping at least 30 minutes a day. Keeping active is an important key to reduce mental anguish. Go for a walk or unwind with yoga.
The wonderful thing about yoga is the mental relaxation after the intense yoga poses.
It is cardio training without injury risk, and improved cardiovascular health leads to better emotional stability and reduced anxiety.
- Detox from digital gadgets such as laptop, iPad, cell phone and read a book.
- Learn a new skill even if you remain at beginner level. Learn a new language, play a musical instrument, compose a song, acquire computer skills, start a new hobby or learn to cook a new dish.
All these can help keep your brain healthy. The challenge is to keep on thinking and growing mentally to stay sharp.
- Make a list of goals and manage your expectations. Keep a mental note on the completed goals to focus on the positive. When stress cannot be avoided, learn to manage the situation.
You can only control your own actions, so do not waste energy on the things you cannot control.
- Ask questions and keep interacting. Talking to people stimulates the brain.
- Perform random acts of kindness. Helping others improves self-esteem, which in turn improves mental wellness in a variety of ways, including a self-empowering sense of social connectivity.
With so many lives badly affected, there are so many different charity projects out there. ALSO READ: A Happy Body Is A Healthy Body; Tips To Boost Happiness
- Promote laughter and keep the faith! Humour actively triggers happy hormones and generates emotions that relax the mind. Our overall mental health depends on factors like self-acceptance, quality of relationships, capacity for personal growth and overall life satisfaction.
- Above all, spiritual wellness is our anchor when all else fails. Keep a personal balance in other areas of life, such as physical, emotional, financial and spiritual.
After all, the Lord is the true author of our lives. We just need to live it gratefully!